In a nutshell
Justin joined Fleishman-Hillard Kansas City in 2009, where he specializes in digital strategy and education. Before that, he was at Sprint for two years where he managed the company’s employee social network, Sprint Space, and led efforts to improve customer outreach via social media, specifically Twitter. He is in his fifth year on the Kansas City IABC board and is serving as president for the 2010 board year. Justin is a huge Bon Jovi fan and once won third place in a karaoke contest at Chicago’s John Barleycorn’s with a rousing rendition of Livin’ on a Prayer. He’s also a diehard Kansas City Royals fan, so go easy when talking baseball.
Click here to contact Justin.
Professional Experience — Who I’ve worked with
- Fleishman-Hillard. Digital strategist. 2009-current. Clients I’ve helped include:
- 3M, Arby’s, Dow Agrosciences, FerrellGas, Hallmark Card, Genentech, Helzberg Diamonds, JE Dunn Construction, Joe’s Crab Shack, Kansas Beef Council, Midwest Dairy Association, Select Comfort, United Health Foundation, Veterans of Foreign Wars Foundation.
- Sprint. Social media specialist. 2007-2009. What did I did I do at work?
- Twitter lead team member. Conducted first-ever Sprint customer outreach via Twitter.
- Managed employee social network, Sprint Space, and revolutionized the importance of employee communications at the company. Facilitated conversations between frontline employees dealing with customers and corporate office.
- Applebee’s. Communications manager. 2003-2007. Work responsibilities:
- Hired as an admin.
- Managed employee portal and started first-ever internal blog, Kurt’s Culinary Corner, allowing head chef to “talk turkey” with restaurant employees.
Community efforts, notable awards and mentions
- KC/IABC chapter president 2010-11 and 5-year board member, #pr20chat co-moderator with Heather Whaling, co-founder of pr20chat.com and pr20chatTV, 12for12k founding member, Help A PR Pro Out (HAPPO) regional champion, Social Media Club Kansas City, Kansas City Clubs United.
- Floyd Walker Incredible Award from KC/IABC, contributing member to 2010 Bronze Quill Best in Show and additional KC/IABC Bronze Quill awards, PRSA Silver Anvil awards, PR Week awards, NAMA (National Agri-Marketing Association) client award, 3-year Crystal Apple Award winner for community service, Top 20 Twitterholics in Kansas City.
- Justin has been mentioned or blogged on several different outlets: BurrellesLuce Fresh Ideas, Communications Conversations, CW Bulletin, For Immediate Release podcast, Ideas and Angles, Mashable, Metropreneur.com, Pistachio blog, PR Daily, Robert Scoble, Spin Sucks, The Kansas City Star, The Power of Real-Time Marketing, Waxing Unlyrical and more.
Are you looking for a speaker? I speak regularly at all sorts of PR and social media events from national conferences to local workshops. Check out my speaking page for more information, including examples of conferences I’ve presented at and video demos.
- I am a HUGE sports fan. My teams are the Kansas City Royals (die hard, even though they suck so badly), Northwestern (my alma mater; still trying to win our first bowl game since 1949), North Carolina basketball (since I was 6), Denver Broncos (I know, I live in Kansas City; just really liked John Elway).
- I was at Game 6 of the 1985 World Series that the Royals won in seven games. I barely remember the 9th inning, the Don Denkinger call and Dane Iorg’s bloop hit to win it.
- I died my hair blue in the winter of 1999 as a good luck charm for the Broncos on their way to repeat as Super Bowl champions.
- I mentioned the Bon Jovi thing earlier. Maggie and I first danced to Jon Bon at our wedding, saw them with my brother at the Meadowlands (never seen so much denim) and in college, my friends and I had a choreographed Livin’ on a Prayer karaoke routine.
- Maggie and I met for the first time over the phone and two years later I proposed to her over the phone. We have two Irish Setters, Jameson and Murphy.
- I used to live a block from Wrigley Field.
- Someday I hope to write a book.